Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Music, talent, cornhole and fun at Sunset - get tickets


Why is there a 3in1 Fest

Last year, we had a wonderful event at Sunset Hill called Prayz Dayz. We worked to raise some funds for Spring Valley Shelter while also providing an enjoyable time for the community. We received wonderful feedback from those in attendance. Last September, we began to start planning this year’s event. We found some folks to sponsor and grow the event. Things were looking great!

Then in late March, we felt the swift, sharp blade of the economy when we lost our sponsors, investor and I lost a contract which I was working on full time. It was quite a blow. There was a real desire to continue the event to at least maintain the momentum we had with the music festival, but pulling the pieces together and finding some base backing was challenging.

Then in May, some things started to happen. A local businessman stepped up with some funding to hire bands and reserve the park. Also around that time, I sat in a meeting with several pastors from Valpo. I listened to them talking about the challenges facing some of the churches, the PADS program and New Creation Men’s Center. Even in the difficult situation I found myself, I knew I was in a much better position than those who didn’t have a home for themselves or even a place to sleep each night. I knew the support of my family and my faith was there for me; something many of these men served by PADS and New Creation didn’t have.

I committed myself to doing something to help these men. The newly renamed 3in1 Fest would be a benefit to help tell their story (the story of one of these men) and raise funds for their programs. It only seemed appropriate that the event would use tithing as it’s basis for support. I committed that 10% of the gross proceeds would be given to New Creation. It’s a “first fruits” thing. If I am not committed to living in faith, I am not sure how I can expect my faith to carry me.

3in1 Fest is a designed to be an event anyone can come to. Ticket prices are as low as possible while still trying to cover the event costs. Because of our late start, and the challenges of our economy, sponsorship has been nearly impossible to pull together this year. Even with that, rather than get you there and then gouge you on parking, food and drinks, you can bring in a cooler with refreshments. Parking is free with pre-sale tickets. We will have vendors there with an array of food and treats.

Other vendors, artists and non-profits will be there to share their items and information. Folks from Porter County Parks will help people learn more about Sunset Hill Farm and other county parks to enjoy all-year round.

I hope you will join us for at least some portion of the day. While the many of the artists are Christian praise and worship bands, the blend of music should provide something most people will find enjoyable. Grab a partner, throw some ‘bags and maybe win some money. At the end of the day, I hope people see this as an opportunity to spend some time as friends and families, to be together as a community, absorb some nature and help some people who really need our support.

3in1 Fest is this Saturday, July 31. We’ll be there from 10:30a to 10p with music kicking off around 11 with the (tbd) Showcase.

Pre-sale tickets are available at Tickets TADA!. More information, visit 3in1Fest.com or call RG – (219) 405-3333.

Remember, tickets purchased by Friday include free parking and are discounted.