The region has erupted into the social media world in the last year, and I found myself spending a lot more time posting on my small business consulting site and Porter County Politics.
So a rundown of great things going on in Northwest Indiana right now is in order:
- #nwindiana is the new hashtag being used especially by those familiar with twitter. We went from 15-20 twitter users in March 0f 08 to roughly 600 now!
- Along those same lines #nwitweetup is being used by a couple groups to announce tweetups, with Evelyn Bay Coffee, Zao Island and now Passtimes in Valparaiso taking the first three stops. The next tweetup is April 23rd at 7 p.m. at Passtimes in Valparaiso.
- There are so many new blogs, I'm having a hard time knowing how to start getting caught up. If you read this post and you're not listed on the sidebar, please enter your blog in the comments. One new site I noticed today was Cartronix
- The Times and the Post-Tribune are both on twitter and putting more effort into engaging online. Times on twitter. Post on twitter.
- So far still no great radio station working on social media, and television as we all know is miserably unavailable. Lakeshore TV doesn't even post clips of their own shows on their site. This is an area that someone ought to jump on and combine news and multi-media with social media.